Jerry Bouma, B. Sc., M. Sc. has over 35 years experience in the field of strategic planning, marketing management, and market research within the agri-food sector. His experience includes 10 years as a management consultant with Deloitte Touche (formerly Deloitte Haskins + Sells) and 2 years as the Western Canadian marketing manager with Maple Leaf Foods (Shur-Gain Feeds Division).
He combines a solid background as a strategic planner and has been at the forefront of many new innovations in the agri-food sector including the formation of AVAC; the privatization of Livestock Inspection Services in both Alberta and B.C.; the Value Chain Initiative; the Alberta Environmental Farm Plan Company; numerous strategic or governance reviews of several organizations or industry sectors including the Canadian Pork Council, the Alberta beef, pork and dairy industries and the B.C. pork industry.
Jerry has extensive project experience and has served as a manager on more than 500 strategic planning and marketing projects. He has considerable hands on operational experience in the implementation of business-to-business marketing and sales strategies. He has strong strategic skills and excels in the identification of market trends and the formulation of appropriate strategic responses or marketing initiatives. Jerry speaks on a wide range of agri-food subjects including agricultural policy issues, value-added strategies, marketing, value chain formation and business-to-business management.
Specific to industry and governance experience, Jerry has serviced as:
- Chair of the Board of Directors for Northlands – Canada’s largest agricultural and exhibition society with such major facilities as Rexall Place – the home of the Edmonton Oilers; the Edmonton Expo Centre – western Canada’s largest trade show facility; and Northlands Park for horse racing..
- Inaugural Chair of the Board of Governors for Northlands – established as new structure further to a governance review that was led by Jerry as the Board Chair.
- Director with Horse Racing Alberta and chair of the Marketing Committee which developed the most successful horse racing marketing campaign in North America. The campaign won the Best of CAMA (Canadian Agri-Marketing Association) campaign of the year award three years in a row, as well as a Sovereign Award and an Eclipse Award.
- Chair of the Board for the Little Potato Company – one of Alberta’s most exciting and fastest growing speciality food companies.
- Chair of the Board for the Edmonton Triathlon Academy – the academy has been established to develop triathletes as well as host major World Cup and World Championships.
- Member of the Edmonton Region Blue Ribbon Panel on land use providing expertise and consultation to the Edmonton Region Council of Mayors and Reeves.
- Member of the City of Edmonton Food Policy Advisory Council – charged to develop a food policy for the City of Edmonton.
- Member of City of Edmonton’s Mayor Task Force examining the feasibility for a new arena to replace or upgrade Rexall Place.
Educational & Professional Experience:
- B.Sc. Mathematics, Villanova University, Pa, U.S.A., 1974
- M. Sc. Agricultural Economics, University of Guelph, 1977
- Chair of the Board of Directors, Northlands,, Edmonton, 2007 to 2009; Director since 1999
- Chair of the Board of Governors, Northlands, Edmonton, 2009 to 2011; Governor ongoing
- Chair of the Board Little Potato Company, Edmonton, 2009 to present
- Chair of the Edmonton Triathlon Academy, Edmonton, 2010 to 2014
- Chair of TrackTown Canada/Local Organizing Committee for the Canadian Track & Field Olympic Trials, 2012 to present
- Board Member and chair of the Marketing Committee, Horse Racing Alberta, 2002 to 2008
- Founder and Past President – Canadian Swine Exporters Association (1983 to 1988)
- Past President (1989) – Canadian Agri-Marketing Association – Toronto Chapter
Areas of Concentration:
- Strategic Planning
- Agri-food Policy Analysis
For more background on Jerry Bouma, click on the following links: